Wednesday, December 14

PEPPERMINT BARK - A Recipe.


Are you ready? I'm going to share with you my peppermint bark recipe. I could eat this stuff everyday- no lie. I never liked peppermint bark (even the kind from william-sonoma) until I figured out a little trick called 'peppermint flavor'. This recipe is also on the Christmas tradition list. I made it up while Dave and I were still dating and it is something of a miracle that it turned out to be this good. I had good intentions and really enjoyed to cook/bake but I didn't quite know what I was doing back then. Try it, you'll like it.

Ingredients:
  • 1 bag or around 2 cups of dark chocolate chips
  • 1 bag or around 2 cups white chocolate chips
  • 1 teaspoon peppermint flavor (I use a high quality organic)
  • 20 mini candy canes
Instructions:
Break up the candy canes with a food processor or put them in a plastic bag and crush them up with a rolling pin (alternatively, you can do it the super classy way, using a hammer...ahem). Using a double boiler or a sauce pan,bring 1 inch of water to boil. Pour dark chocolate chips into double boiler or a glass/metal boil and stir chocolate until completely melted. Spread the melted dark chocolate on foil lined baking sheet (it doesn't have to be perfect, as you are going to break it up anyway). Put the baking sheet in the refrigerate for 30 mins or until it is completely solid again. Now you are going to melt the white chocolate the same  way. Stir in the peppermint flavor and then spread the white chocolate over the dark chocolate. You need to be very careful not to let your spatula/spoon too close to the dark chocolate when spreading or you will have chocolate swirls. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the top and refrigerate for another 30 minutes. After its completely solid, peel the foil off the bottom and break up the bark while its still cold to prevent chocolate finger prints. Enjoy!


Notes: 1)I recently found that Kroger'shouse brand 62% cacao tastes very similar to Ghirardelli. 2)Plain red and white candy canes look best, but they were sold out. 3) You can use less candy canes if you wish, but I really enjoy the  'crunchies' on top.


-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment